A Travellerspoint blog

York to Stegness, Stegness to Kent, Kent to London

Travelling from York to London


All good things come to an end, it was time to clean and vacuum our York house swap. We said our goodbyes to Harley the shared cat and left his bowl full of food. You would think he would be overweight with the volume of cat food he consumes, remembering that the neighbour was feeding him too. Soon we were in the car and heading South. We stopped at Drewtons Farm Shop for lunch. This place had a huge shopping area one part selling farm produce, lots of cheeses and meats and another area selling other crafty things etc. There was an extensive newish Restaurant, the whole building looked quite new. We had a tasty lunch and good coffee. This place was an estate a large farm. The manages did all sorts of things like hunting parties, weddings, accommodation as well. Soon it was time to head to somewhere for the night, we ended up in Skegness. Skegness was a seaside resort. First we tried one place but got a bad feeling about the place so curtailed out of there and headed the other direction. We found a family run Guest House. The lady here very nice and the room was good. No lifts just lugging cases to the 3rd floor. Most places we stayed several floors up most had lifts but not all. Some lifts the size of cupboars that is when I decide Geoff can take the lift with the bags and I'll take the stairs thank you. We walked to an old corner pub for a meal. It was rather late. After our meal walked all over town, found a suppermarket still open for supplies. There were lots of amusement archades open with very few people in them. I am not sure how they all manage to make a living.. Breakfast wasn't included with our accommodation so we ate cereal off our plastic plates in our room. The next day we drove from Skegness to Eden. We passed a lot of market gardens on very flat land, England very flat and rolling. I had visions of staying in Windsor where we had visited before, at this late stage the prices there of accommodation very pricey. We finally found a guest house called Buckingham Hotel just out of Eden. This place just 15 minutes from Heathrow Airport where we were dropping off our car the next day. We walked into town about 20 minutes walk, needed the exercise, past a pizza place near the hotel and the silly thing was we ended up eating pizza in Kent. Kent seemed to consist of huge shopping malls that seemed very new all attached with a railway station. A bit of the old town remained. We headed to the town the next morning to find a post office in the old part of town it took a w hIle to findicate a park found a praking building in the end. The next morning after visiting the Kent township we headed to Heathrow Airport to drop off our hire car. Still no scratches to the car, no mean feat with some of the roads navigated. Eight hire cars and no scratches. It was a different story for the other young couple who caught our cutesy bus. He was saying we should have taken more before photos, she was saying what about the curb you hit and the hedge you scrapt. A few phew moments during all that time driving in so many countries for us but us and cars were still in one piece. We caught the Eurocar cutesy van to Heathrow Airport, just had to get in the lift and negotiate our way to Heathrow Express train. Managed to stow our luggage and get a seat. Only about 20 minutes and you are in Paddington Station. We spent some time here had lunch before catching a taxi to our hotel near Kings Cross Station. I like these London cabs so easy to pull your luggage on and off, no boots to have to lift your bags into. A short distance was our Guest House called Sudios2let. This time we were on the top floor, lots of stairs to negotiate, no lift. A porter grabbed my bag and ran up the stairs with it. Accomodation good and reasonable, we had booked it well in advance. It was only a short walk to Kings Cross Station, one of Londons main stations. The good thing is it had a kitchen. There were lots of quaint shops and eating establishmen's near us and a newish shopping complex with a supermarket. We bought groceries and went back to cook dinner. I Thought I could smell smoke Geoff opened the oven and smoke poured out setting off the fire alarm first one then the other. I had visions of the fire engines turning up and people half naked standing on the foot path. It was late. Finally got the alarms off and retrieved the charcoaled chicken. My ears were sore for ages after. Checked the oven again later and this time all the fuses blew, I was in darkness while Geoff went and found someone to fix the fuse. Polish people running this place a little translation problem at times. Finally the fuse fixed and someone came to repair the thermostat the next day. The first day back in London caught the train to Picadilly Circus and spent some time in central city.

Posted by kiwiscanflyto 14:31 Archived in England Tagged driving

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint